Help me, I'm angry
Anger is a feeling. It isn't a bad thing, but all of us have to be careful about what we do and say when we feel angry. Here are some things to do:
- Take a deep breath and let it out. Do this a second time. Do it again.
- Close your eyes and imagine you are hearing what your child is about to hear.
- If someone else can watch your child, go outside and take a walk.
- Remember that you are the adult.
- Call a friend who knows how to listen.
- If you really feel out of control, call your local crisis intervention center.
Family Focus is a series of positive discipline parenting tips and information sheets developed by specialists at Children's Hospitals and Clinics, Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN. For a complete list of topics, visit our Web page: http://www.childrensmn.org/.../parenting-resources/parenting-tips.